This week I followed in the steps of many dressmakers before me. I used the scraps leftover from a two piece reproduction c.1860’s woman’s dress to fashion a child’s gown from the same period for one of my dolls. Frugal seamstresses have been making dolls and their clothing from bits and pieces of fabric culled from other sewing projects for centuries. I thought you might enjoy seeing photos of both the dresses together.
The fabric is a plaid silk taffeta. Both gowns are lined in brown polished cotton and trimmed with black velvet. I cut the skirt of the doll’s dress on the bias and cartridge pleated it to the waistband.
The doll pictured here is sold. She’s on lay-away. The doll size plaid taffeta dress is available.